PAS #66 | “if I were in your place”
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
15. – 22. September 2019, Karstica , Cañada del Hoyo, Spain
an 8-day learning program on Performance Art
cooperation with Karstica art residency, Cañada del Hoyo and In cooperation with Museo Neomudejar, Madrid
Led by BBB Johannes Deimling
if I were in your place concept
“If you work site-specific, you need to be very specific with the site” (BBB Johannes Deimling)
The term site-specific describes artistic production in close relation with a physical site. Since its appearance in performance the term “site-specific performance” has influenced and inspired performance art practice and theory.
One could state that each performance work is site-specific since it is always happening in a spatial context and corresponding in one way or the other with the surrounding in which it appears. This thought is supported by the fact that our human body is not able to leave space since it surrounds us the moment we start growing in the uterus.
But the term “site-specific” describes not only a form or state of being but more a working method, a research practice which resonates in so many fields alongside the arts: ecology, humanity, history, politics, time, etc. The spatial context, the site-specific aspect of artistic production, presentation and perception is a reservoir of diverse and – it seems – endless artistic potential to create site related artworks. We can expand the present space, site or place and transform into collaborative work with our perspectives and ideas. But at the same time the site offers us its perspectives and access points to its given structures, forms and aesthetics. In order to balance the individual artistic concept with the given or chosen site, the need for precise research and dialogue is inevitable. The site has the power to crush any artistic idea with ease.
PAS | #66 “if I were in your place” will focus on the possibilities of site-specific aspects in performance practices and theory. For this, we chose a rural place in Spain, away from urban cities and marked by a very unique (Jurassic) landscape between Valencia and Madrid: Cañada del Hoyo (click here to see where it is located). Besides the beauty and the possibilities of the landscape we also want to include the knowledge and the culture of the inhabitants of the nearby village. This will create a vibrant and deep site-specific research which we aim to connect with our views we bring to the place in order to create a dynamic artistic dialogue.
PAS | Performance Art Studies:
• To develop a Performance Art piece with 9 days of technical, pedagogical and artistic guidance
• To investigate and work with a variety of performative exercises, experiments, games and assignments in various conditions both in and outdoors with a specific focus on: space, body, time, material, concentration. Work will be made in groups and individually.
• A final public presentation of the performance at Museo Neomudejar in Madrid.
• Video and photo documentation of the final presentation completed by the PAS photographer
• Publication of the Documentation on PAS website and other Performance Art related websites
• Contacts with artists, curators and art institutions in Spain
• Meeting and collaborating with other like-minded people from other countries
• Encounters, lectures and discussions with invited artists
• Context of the place, history and culture
• The studies are ideal for art students, young artists and all other people who are interested in Performance Art. The range of ages in the past was from 13 to 72 and the level of experience is not a criterion for you to participate in PAS studies. The group is usually composed of international artists coming from different backgrounds and different parts of the world.
• PAS studies takes place with at least 8 participants.
14. September 2019 arrival (without an official meeting)
15. – 20. September 2019: practical studies and researches in Cañada del Hoyo
21. September 2019: presentation at Museo Neomudejar, Madrid
22. September 2019: reflection and possible departure day
Our program is never planned in advance with exact steps. We adjust it to the group dynamics, challenges of an individual and needs that pop up. Observing the process is the key to achieve a high quality of teaching enriched by our experience and an ever-expanding great collection of tasks.
• Teaching language is English
• Price: € 310 (+ € 90 for accommodation)
• Price does not include travel
• we will share the costs for food since we have a kitchen available on site.
You can reach Cañada del Hoyo with a direct train from Madrid.
write to: email@example.com for inquiries, applications and further information